DEC Delivers press release [ https://www.dec.ny.gov/press/press.html ] DEC Delivers Press Release – Information to keep you connected and informed from the NYS Department of Environmental Conservation Share or view as a web page [ https://content.govdelivery.com/accounts/NYSDEC/bulletins/2132382 ]||Update preferences or [ https://public.govdelivery.com/accounts/NYSDEC/subscriber/new?preferences=true ]
DEC to Host ‘Get Outdoors with Smokey Bear’ and Fish Stocking Event
Free Event on Saturday, Oct. 13, at Mount Loretto Unique Area, Staten Island
The New York State Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC) is inviting the public to Get Outdoors with Smokey Bear and experience a fish stocking event on Saturday, Oct. 13, at Mount Loretto Unique Area. The event is part of Governor Andrew M. Cuomo’s Adventure NY initiative to connect people to nature and provide increased access to outdoor recreation through hands-on activities.
*DEC Regional Director Steve Zahn*said, “This summer’s Get Outdoors Day event at Mount Loretto Unique Area was so successful we’ve decided to do it again. Taking advantage of the cooler temperatures and the changing leaves, we hope to make even more people aware of the many ways to enjoy New York’s great outdoors. In addition, for the first time, we will be stocking the Mount Loretto Pond with Largemouth Bass and Fathead Minnows. This will provide improved fishing opportunities in the pond and we invite folks of all ages to come out and participate in this special event.”
*Activities at Mount Loretto Unique Area will include:*
* Saltwater Paddling: Learn the basics of this fun fast-growing sport and get out on the water.
* Campsite Demos: Visitors can try their hand at camping basics by pitching a tent on the lawn and learning what and how to pack for a camping trip.
* Bird Watching: Learn how easy and fun it is to enjoy birdwatching almost anywhere.
* Meet and Greet: Smokey Bear and special guests.
* DEC Division of Law Enforcement Demonstrations: Learn about NYS Forest Rangers and their Firefighting equipment. Participants will also get a demonstration from K-9 Kramer.
* Fish Stocking and Freshwater Fishing: Join DEC fisheries staff as they stock Mount Loretto Pond with 250 Largemouth Bass and approximately 4,000 Fathead Minnows. Participants are welcome to help stock the pond around 1pm. The I Fish NY program will also be offering a free catch-and-release fishing clinic for all ages. Learn about fishing equipment, techniques, regulations, consumption advisories, and good places to fish. Participants may bring their own gear but rods and reels will be available for loan.
Most activities are wheelchair accessible. Please contact Adanna Roberts at email@example.com with specific accommodation requirements.
DEC manages 4.6 million acres of public lands, including three million acres in the Adirondack and Catskill forest preserves, 55 campgrounds and day-use areas, more than 5,000 miles of formal trails, and hundreds of trailheads, boat launches, and fishing piers.
The New York State Department of Environmental Conservation [ https://www.dec.ny.gov/index.html ] respects your right to privacy [ https://www.dec.ny.gov/about/27720.html ] and welcomes your feedback <firstname.lastname@example.org>|Update preferences or [ https://public.govdelivery.com/accounts/NYSDEC/subscriber/new?preferences=true ]|Learn more about DEC Delivers [ https://www.dec.ny.gov/public/65855.html ]. Connect with DEC: Facebook [ http://www.facebook.com/nysdec ] Twitter [ https://twitter.com/NYSDEC ] YouTube [ https://www.youtube.com/user/nysdecvideos ]Bookmark and Share [ https://content.govdelivery.com/accounts/NYSDEC/bulletins/2132382?reqfrom=share ] Basil Seggos, Commissioner