New York State Department of Environmental Conservation [ http://www.dec.ny.gov/ ] DEC Delivers – Information to keep you connected and informed from the NYS Department of Environmental Conservation Share or view as a web page [ https://content.govdelivery.com/accounts/NYSDEC/bulletins/1b397b8 ]||Update preferences or [ https://public.govdelivery.com/accounts/NYSDEC/subscriber/new?preferences=true ]
Although the Weather is ChillingContinue to Protect Against Tick Bites
In cold or freezing temperatures ticks will take shelter under leaf or forest litter. On days when the sun is shining and temperatures warm above 40 degrees, ticks will climb upward to find a suitable host. Protect yourself by:
* *Dressing*. When in known tick areas, dress wearing light colored clothing, long sleeves, tuckpants into socks. Stay on paths.
* *Removing*. Remove ticks as soon as possible. After coming indoors shower and perform full-body tick checks. Use fine-tipped tweezers to remove embedded ticks.
* *Killing*. Kill ticks on exposed clothing by tumbling in a dryer set on high heat for at least 10 minutes.
* *Checking*. Check your pets that frequent the outside. Check their bedding as well!
* *Choosing*. Choose appropriate Insect Repellents [ https://www.epa.gov/insect-repellents ].
Learn more about tick-borne disease, prevention, and removal [ https://www.cdc.gov/ticks/index.html ].
New to the NYSDEC Bureau of Pest Management?
Visit the New York State Pesticide Administration Database (NYSPAD [ http://www.dec.ny.gov/nyspad/ ]), our one-stop-shop foranswers on pesticidebusinesses, pesticideapplicator certification,and NYS registered pesticide products.
Questions? Pleaseemail <PestMgt@dec.ny.gov> or call (518) 402-8748.
The New York State Department of Environmental Conservation respects your right to privacy [ http://www.dec.ny.gov/about/27720.html ] and welcomes your feedback <firstname.lastname@example.org>.|Update preferences or [ https://public.govdelivery.com/accounts/NYSDEC/subscriber/new?preferences=true ].|Learn more about DEC Delivers [ http://www.dec.ny.gov/public/65855.html ]. Connect with DEC: Facebook [ http://www.facebook.com/nysdec ] Twitter [ https://twitter.com/NYSDEC ] YouTube [ https://www.youtube.com/user/nysdecvideos ] Bookmark and Share [ https://content.govdelivery.com/accounts/NYSDEC/bulletins/1b397b8?reqfrom=share ] NOW AVAILABLE: Receive DEC’s Twitter feed via email [ https://public.govdelivery.com/accounts/NYSDEC/subscriber/new?topic_id=NYSDEC_162 ]. Andrew M. Cuomo, Governor * Basil Seggos, Commissioner