New York State Department of Environmental Conservation [ https://www.dec.ny.gov/ ] DEC Delivers – Information to keep you connected and informed from the NYS Department of Environmental Conservation Share or view as a web page [ https://content.govdelivery.com/accounts/NYSDEC/bulletins/23824ba ]||Update preferences or [ https://public.govdelivery.com/accounts/NYSDEC/subscriber/new?preferences=true ]
Wildlife, Fish, and Marine Life Newsletter
Watch the Skies for Spring Bird Migrations
Man using binoculars on viewing platform
Spring is an ideal time to observe bird migrations. New York is conveniently located along the Atlantic Flyway, one of the main migration routes. This gives you a great opportunity to observe birds flying to their summer breeding grounds.
Grab your binoculars and check out one of these hot spots:
* Northern Montezuma Wildlife Management Area [ http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/31112.html ] (WMA), Cayuga, Seneca, Wayne counties a stopover for many species of ducks who are headed farther north. You can see shorebirds, raptors, waterfowl, and songbirds at this WMA.
* Montezuma National Wildlife Refuge [ https://www.fws.gov/refuge/montezuma/ ], Cayuga and Seneca counties an endless list of birds can be seen here.
* Braddock Bay WMA [ http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/24428.html ], Monroe County find waterfowl, raptors, and songbirds.
* Iroquois National Wildlife Refuge [ https://www.fws.gov/refuge/iroquois/ ], Genesee and Orleans counties see many species of waterfowl.
* Derby Hill Bird Observatory [ https://onondagaaudubon.com/derby-hill-bird-observatory/ ], Oswego County known for migrating hawks.
* Bashakill WMA [ http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/82727.html ], Orange County view hawks, marshbirds, and waterfowl.
* Central Park [ http://www.nycaudubon.org/manhattan-birding/central-park ], NYC see warblers, in addition to many other species.
View a list of Important Bird Areas [ https://www.audubon.org/important-bird-areas ] and Bird Conservation Areas [ http://www.dec.ny.gov/animals/30935.html ], which are also great areas to view birds.